(Academic Curriculum review coming soon.)
Physical Education & Health/Wellness Curriculum
Spruce Tree Montessori School aims to educate the whole child. This approach yields students who are academically stimulated, socially aware and confident, and physically fit. Our physical education (PE) curriculum focuses on physical activity and fitness, health, wellness, and nutrition.
Physical education will support the development of a wide variety of fine and gross motor activities that involve locomotion, non-locomotion, and manipulation of objects. Students will be engaged in a variety of physical activities that emphasize social interaction, future participation, and enjoyment of life-long physical activity.
Unit studies will be organized in 4 or 6-week segments offering activities inside and outside the classroom. Guest instructors, coaches and volunteers will be utilized for specialized topics during the week. The PE period will be during the afternoon work period for approximately 45 minutes, five days per week, depending on the unit. In addition to learning the physical aspect of various sports, students will review and learn other aspects of the sports as well: history of/rules of the game, strategies of competition, and wellness habits for leading an active lifestyle.
Program Outline of Unit Studies
- Unit 1 – Swimming: September 9 – October 18 Pool – TBD
- Unit 2 – Yoga: October 21 – November 29 In house, Instructed by Ms. Kristen
- Unit 3 – Ice Skating: December 2 – 20 Patty Ice Rink, Coached by Ryan Binkley
- Unit 4 – Tae-kwan-do: January 7 – February 14 In House, Coached by Kira O’Donoghue, Certified Black Belt Instructor
- Unit 5 – Curling: February 17 – March 28 Fairbanks Curling Club, Coached by Ryan Binkley/Greg Persinger, Member Skips Fairbanks Curling Club
- Unit 6 – Track & Field: March 31 – May 2 Track TBD, Coached by Ashley Wright, Ms. Sabrina
- Unit 7 – Biking: May 5 – 30 Neighborhood Bike Path, Supervised by Ms. Coe, Ms. Kristen, Ms. Sabrina or parents